Thursday, May 7, 2009

White people are weird.

Seriously-- white people are really weird about pregnancy. And I say this as an official pregnant white person.

In my personal experience of unsolicited comments as a pregnant woman walking down the NYC streets, here's the breakdown:

Black people:
"Congratulations"
"You go, mama!"

Hispanic people:
"Congratulations!"
"You look great!" (from women!)

Asian people:
"Boy or girl?"
They then proceed to give me health advice.

White people:
"Does she have twins in there?"
"Any day now..." (in that "you're in for it" voice)
And many other variations on "Wow, you're huge/ready to pop (a phrase I detest!)"

Sadly, I run into more white people than anyone else.


But what I really wonder is, how are we the most numerous ethnic group in the country with this attitude? I mean, really?

1 comment:

Tron said...

You do realize its going to change your life .. right ? ;)
Or maybe not ... at least until you move to Hoboken :)))))))